Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

Post by jdnation »

Since the P.T. forum has become the hub of all things Konami-no-more-games-related...

It sounds as though early reports of Konami recruiting for a new Metal Gear were all just PR as there's likely nothing in the works outside of a possible mobile concept or pachinko.

"Konami has ceased all triple-A console game production on everything but Pro Evolution Soccer and there are currently no plans for a big new Metal Gear game, while worldwide technology director Julien Merceron has left the company. That's according to a pair of reports on French site Gameblog. Eurogamer understands both reports to be true.

Gameblog wrote yesterday that Merceron was apparently unhappy with Konami's transition away from the console market towards mobile games.

Beyond Metal Gear Online - the separate online component to Metal Gear Solid 5 that is currently being finished - and Pro Evolution Soccer 2016, Konami has a blank triple-A slate. It does however have the licence to the football tournament Euro 2016, so we'd expect it to make use of that."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... pes-report

About FOX Engine's director bailing
http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=22130

More detailed background info on Konami's direction and why.
Konami: The future of the video game industry (Spoiler: It's not console)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1107626

There's also some rumors that a lot of the mo-cap staff at KojiP... Konami L.A. Studio have been sent off too.
Mephisto

Re: Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

Post by Mephisto »

AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Konami doesn't like money 2k15.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I feel like this isn't even news at this point, they obviously don't care about gaming anymore. Messed up part is as much as we don't like them for how they've been fucking things up, they're still probably gonna make a good amount money from mobile gaming.

Although i don't know if i'd wanna see another metal gear without kojima and his crew working on it anyway.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

SPRINGS02 wrote:Messed up part is as much as we don't like them for how they've been fucking things up, they're still probably gonna make a good amount money from mobile gaming..
I dunno, the mobile market doesn' t seem big on brand recognition or fidelity. Wouldn' t it be a pity if that move left some phantom pain in their wallet in the long run ? *grabs popcorn*
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

SPRINGS02 wrote:I feel like this isn't even news at this point, they obviously don't care about gaming anymore.
Pretty much my thoughts, too. :(
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Some denials have some from Konami about this in that they are still making MGS and Silent Hill games and are still going to make games for consoles and are still hiring.

But this doesn't clear up the situation with regards to making 'AAA console titles.'

Konami would still make console games following a mobile-first strategy where they merely port over games made for mobile.

Also FOX Engine was made for multi-platform development, which included support for mobiles and tablets. So FOX would still be used by Konami for their mobile titles with easy up-porting compatibility to consoles/PC.

This is supported by the fact that many key talent are leaving, particularly those with high-end console experience. So the hiring may just be for cheaper less experienced developers. So Konami's commitment to console would make no sense given many staff that have that top-end experience are leaving.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Jim Sterling has some interesting takes on Konami's bad business practices. #FucKonami on twitter shows some, and he's posted some on his Jimquisition on Youtube.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Looks as though the entire LA Studio is getting shuttered.
http://www.vg247.com/2015/11/03/kojima- ... ut-rumour/
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Have you heard? Konami is thinking about a new MGS.