Do all the connections between Death Stranding and Silent Hi

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Do all the connections between Death Stranding and Silent Hi

Post by jdnation »

A pretty good article from GamesRadar, though summarizing things we have all spotted while adding some things I didn't notice.

Undoubtedly Kojima is using some ideas he had for Silent Hills in Death Stranding, which is not at all to suggest they're the same thing, any more than the use of stealth mechanics in Death Stranding makes it a Metal Gear game...

https://www.gamesradar.com/do-all-the-c ... ng-played/
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Re: Do all the connections between Death Stranding and Silen

Post by Jonipoon »

Seems pretty nonsensical since we don't know if Silent Hills was actually going to be the same type of game as P.T. In fact, P.T. was only meant to be exactly what it is - a playable teaser, and not a representation of the game it eventually teased - Silent Hills.

That's why P.T. is filled with so many cliché horror stuff and jumpscares that has nothing to do with Silent Hill. It was supposed to trick the player into believing they were playing an indie horror game by a small unknown developer - not a demo for a big franchise like Silent Hill. That would've spoiled the whole surprise at the end.

So, comparing things from P.T. and Death Stranding as things that could "possibly be from Silent Hills" makes no sense.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Nah, it makes sense from the standpoint that Kojima had some ideas he wanted to do in Silent Hills, which he teased conceptually in the P.T. concept trailer and demo, but that he is now reformatting for Death Stranding instead... I'm certain there are even ideas he had for Metal Gear in Death Stranding as well, considering Kojima has a ethic of continuing to build upon his previous work, always perfecting the concept.

I suspect Death Stranding's 'rope' and 'connections' system will be building upon the Buddy System of MGSV. And the changing landscape that we see also picks up from concepts Kojima tried to achieve in both MGSV and MGS4.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

jdnation wrote:Nah, it makes sense from the standpoint that Kojima had some ideas he wanted to do in Silent Hills, which he teased conceptually in the P.T. concept trailer and demo, but that he is now reformatting for Death Stranding instead... I'm certain there are even ideas he had for Metal Gear in Death Stranding as well, considering Kojima has a ethic of continuing to build upon his previous work, always perfecting the concept.
Sorry, but nope. Even Kojima himself has reinstated that Silent Hills would've been completely different from P.T.:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2014/ ... __IpK8lHIX

"Kojima has made it clear that “P.T.” and “Silent Hills” are not related. “P.T.” is a one-shot that allowed him to try to scare gamers in new ways while utilizing the Fox Engine. The idea to make it playable — “P.T.” stands for “Playable Teaser” — was born out of a desire to deliver the first-ever interactive teaser in lieu of the normal route of releasing a few pictures or videos.

Though he was deliberately vague, he suggested that “Silent Hills” will be enhanced by elements that were not in “P.T."

Nothing I've read from Kojima about Silent Hills suggests that it would take elements from P.T. Of course, it is possible that Silent Hills would've had featured a few things from P.T., but that's pure speculation and not based on facts. The fact is still that Silent Hills would've been completely different.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Jonipoon wrote:Sorry, but nope. Even Kojima himself has reinstated that Silent Hills would've been completely different from P.T

Nothing I've read from Kojima about Silent Hills suggests that it would take elements from P.T. Of course, it is possible that Silent Hills would've had featured a few things from P.T., but that's pure speculation and not based on facts. The fact is still that Silent Hills would've been completely different.
This doesn't contradict anything I said. In other interviews where Kojima has been asked the same question, he's repeated the same thing, the biggest context being the form of gameplay you see as well as the camera perspective.

Obviously Silent Hills was not going to be first-person, nor limited to a single corridor like P.T. was, nor necessarily just be about one ghost of a lady, nor be a game without any weapons. And this was something Kojima had to emphasize - that P.T. we played was just a clever way of announcing that he was working on Silent Hill.

What I've stated is that Kojima had some conceptual things in P.T. that could of course take new life in Silent Hills, as well as that the P.T. Concept trailer - made before P.T. itself - has very obvious imagery that we now see in Death Stranding.

When developers put together concept trailers they of course include in it major elements that they intend to use and test in the product and explain things to others internally of where they intend to take this project. The P.T. demo we got of course didn't have everything the initial concept trailer did and was heavily scaled back.

So to reiterate - yes, there are obvious signs in the P.T. concept trailer of the general ideas he wanted to do in Silent Hills properly, and which are now at least visually making their way into Death Stranding, and even recently Norman Reedus said something interesting in that together with Kojima's ideas of bringing people to cooperate together, the main character he plays - Sam - has a fear of getting close to other people, and in fact even has an 'allergic reaction.' Basically he has a fear of being touched. Such ideas and imagery are obvious in the P.T. Concept trailer. All which suggests that long before Kojima's departure he planned to make something out of this concept, and given that it's in the P.T. Concept trailer heavily indicates that he intended to expand on it in Silent Hills.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

jdnation wrote:This doesn't contradict anything I said. In other interviews where Kojima has been asked the same question, he's repeated the same thing, the biggest context being the form of gameplay you see as well as the camera perspective.
I'm not against the idea that Death Stranding is taking elements and concepts from P.T., which is perhaps possible to pinpoint. I'm against the idea to put Silent Hills into the mix, because Kojima has never talked about what Silent Hills was going to be like. Just like you said, in interviews he keeps talking about P.T.

It's pure speculation from fans and journalists, whom love to make up rumors like this because they're still devastated about the cancellation of Silent Hills.
Hell, I've even seen an article suggesting that Death Stranding is in fact Silent Hills and Kojima planned this way back in 2014.... Lol.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

This isn’t me saying that there is some hugely deep meta-connection between PT and Death Stranding; that’s obvious this many months past DS’ release. But I’ve spent a decent amount of time with PT and hundreds of hours with DS, and I think it’s also obvious that some of the ideas for Silent Hills were rolled into DS.

Now, none of us know exactly what went on behind the scenes all those years ago concerning the spectacle that seemed to be Kojima vs Konami, and we all know of the conspiracy theories and propositions that all of it was a master plan in the end on the part of Kojima and his team.
I think that’s all fun to think about and I have nothing to disprove it, but on a personal level I don’t think it was all a finely crafted and executed ruse.

So, all that to say that what I think and say is also just conjecture and speculation based on trying to be logical.

I truly think Silent Hills was going to be a thing, and that some of its more broad gameplay systems were worked into DS. Namely, the asynchronous multiplayer. I have this gut feeling that the team was gonna implement that into SH. That seems like a way the team could’ve shook things up in SH without messing with it too much.
Anyone who’s spent time with DS knows that you can interact with other players “across the seam” so to speak, using their structures and seeing their footpaths. Multiple Sam’s, all in the same space but not in the same space.
That can tie into SHs and its trailers... how it speaks on “The Gap in the Door,” multiple realities, multiple selves and all that. I think its a perfect fit. Asynchronous multiplayer in an open-ish world town of SH.

That’s the biggest connection I think the two projects have... that foundational gameplay system and how it plays into the world. It can fit in either game. Of course this is all my speculation.

Oh and this is just a fun visual reference, perhaps a nod, or perhaps indicative of something more - the multiple handprints appearing on walls and other surfaces in DS is a pretty big visual element that recurs throughout, while also being seen pretty prominently towards the end of one of the SHs trailers. I think the resemblance is worth noting, but then again, how many ways can you do spectral handprints? Lol.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

If the Sony/Konami deal for Silent Hills goes through, we'll definitely learn more about what he was up to.

Death Stranding does also have an element that is Silent Hill-like in that where Silent Hill used fog, Death Stranding used rain, more specifically timefall, and this acts like an other-world scenario where danger is suddenly present and the circumstances around you change, even to an extent with BTs where suddenly entire buildings and areas change in real-time. Perhaps Kojima was inspired by the Otherworld transitions of Silent Hill. Maybe an idea of his could've been that we'd explore different eras of Silent Hill where the Otherworld changes the era of Silent Hill, kind of like revisiting different war scenarios in DS. So we could've visited the town of Silent Hill from its early past to the present, and maybe even something beyond... Could've been a cool idea.