Some info from Junji Ito about his involvement.

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Some info from Junji Ito about his involvement.

Post by jdnation »

Unfortunately I missed my chance to meet Junji Ito in Toronto, as I had to work out of town on that weekend.

But other fans there asked him about his involvement in Silent Hills.

It turns out that he never actually started doing anything. Kojima and Del Toro had only just convinced him to get on board, reassuring him that even if he knew nothing about games he'd be fine. But then later on, he heard from others that the project had been cancelled.

One tidbit he did state is that "Del Toro wanted the game to be in one location and keep the horror in the player’s face in that way.”

So it looked like P.T. was building on that concept of a single hallway, and it's possible that Silent Hills was looking into maintaining the idea of location intimacy where you'd spend a lot of time in one place before moving to another as in the early games.

So it might've been a move away from Homecoming, Shattered Memories & Downpour's shift towards larger level designs and more elaborate setpieces, to something more akin to the level/puzzle design of Silent Hill 1-4.

From that standpoint, P.T. could've been seen as a test/demonstration of how much they could accomplish effectively with a small space.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/05/11 ... lent-hills
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Some info from Junji Ito about his involvement.

Post by HeartlessBastard »

Yeah, it sounds like they didn't do much besides annouce it. Maybe Kojima only did it to make Konami look bad.
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Yeah, it sounds like they didn't do much besides annouce it. Maybe Kojima only did it to make Konami look bad.
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

jdnation

Post by jdnation »

At the time Kojima was still developing MGSV.

So P.T. came after the initial news that following press about MGSV and the FOX Engine's development, Konami's president at the time asked Kojima if he wanted to make Silent Hill.

They created the concept teaser that was later shown at TGS after P.T.'s release during Sony's European conference. Then created P.T. as an announcement of Del Toro and Reedus working with Kojima on Silent Hills.

But outside of that, nothing else was started until MGSV wrapped up.

Most likely Kojima would've held Junji Ito's involvement back until they formally began working on the game, and Ito had contributed some concept art which could've then been modelled and animated for an announcement.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

*Bump*

Junji Ito revealed a little more about what occurred back then.
https://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=35507

"Hideo Kojima-san contacted me about a Silent Hill sequel that he was in the beginning stages of working on, but the project was cancelled before before I got too involved. Apparently the first person he spoke to was the director Guillermo Del Toro, and as the two of them discussed the project, my name came up."

"I’m not too familiar with video games and was a bit unsure of myself, but I headed to Kojima Productions where the three of us had our first meeting. Del Toro talked about the ideas he had, but having personally never played Silent Hill before, I just sat there feeling anxious the entire time."

"At the end of the meeting I took some illustrations of monsters I had drawn before that I had printed out and handed them over to the two directors for reference. And that was the only time the three of us met up."

"If Kojima-san contacts me again, I’d love to contribute as much as I’m able to."