TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Everything we know - and don't know, I guess - about all those Silent Hill rumours.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Re: TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Post by jdnation »

Seems the plural for remakes was a translation error. But it's easily conceivable, and I think even Bloober didn't dismiss the possibility before.

Konami is either doing botched ports (MGS collection) or in house remakes (MGS3). If it just requires slapping a coat of paint on a pre-existing game design, Konami looks like it is willing to do that in house. Anything more complicated like a full ground up remake as with SH2 is being outsourced.

It's easy to guess SH3 being next. If Bloober's remake is a hit, I can see them being up for it.

My guess is that SH2 Remake will be timed to coincide closely with Gan's movie given he is also using SH2 for inspiration. I'd guess Fall 2024 for both. Konami is most likely relying on Ascension to fill in the time between now and then, for better or worse.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I would think SH1 is the next game to get a remake (unless Konami is counting Shattered Memories as a remake and won't touch that story again). SH3's plot is a direct continuation of the first game so it'd make more sense to me if got a version of the first game before a new version of the third game.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Which is why I'm thinking they'll roll SH1's story into 3's. You'll play as Harry at times (flashbacks), but it'll essentially be overlapping a Heather game.
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

So are we not going to address the rumors about pyramid head getting his own backstory in SH2R? Or was that a translation error?
Or that some sites have SH2R Pre-orders up for march 2024.

Also the fact that Silent Hill Ascension is an absolute disgrace to the SH name (my opinion). Which will make it more difficult for Silent Hill Townfall and Silent Hill f to be taken seriously.

This is not a good start to the revival of the Silent Hill franchise.
oO?
Droo

Post by Droo »

sh#1fan wrote: 06 Nov 2023 So are we not going to address the rumors about pyramid head getting his own backstory in SH2R? Or was that a translation error?
Seems to be a translation error: https://www.pcgamesn.com/silent-hill-2/ ... Y3V4VOQla4
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Of all the projects, Ascension was always the only one I never cared for, so it's existence doesn't mean much more than the slot machines in Vegas.

I don't have nice things to say about my impressions of Ascension, and I'm sure plenty of others out there will already verbalize my thoughts, but I'm still cautiously optimistic for SH2, and very optimistic for f, Townfall, and Gan's film.

With the preorders for SH2 going live, it may be a late spring or early summer release. So I don't think Gan's film will be done by then, so we can rule out any close coordination there.

I'll be surprised if Ascension lives past 2024. Maybe they'll hang in there hoping the remake and movie will drive interest.

It's a shame, as I do think there is potential in a traditional David Cage type SH game. Konami should've approached him or at least Supermassive.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

> With the preorders for SH2 going live, it may be a late spring or early summer release. So I don't think Gan's film will be done by then, so we can rule out any close coordination there.

Return to Silent Hill wrapped filming in July, didn't it? That's plenty of time for post-production to finish and them to hit a spring/summer 2024 date.
Droo

Post by Droo »

The Short Message has reared its head again for some reason: https://www.ign.com/articles/silent-hil ... nouncement
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Weird. I wonder if we'll ever actually see it.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I am highly curious as to what the Short Message is, and why the secrecy...?

My guess is that Sony and Konami intended it to be a new P.T.

That being in 1st person, and set outside the US, it was a free release intended to go viral as another stealth SH game. Then maybe it was changed to be a longer and more traditional indy styled digital only SH game.

Part of it may have been to make it have a "live-stream" feel as the camera perspective/UI, similar concept like 'Rec.' or Blair Witch, or the camera in Outlast, but with a 'chat' as you play.

It's doable, kind of like Codec in Metal Gear Solid, except you get short messages over a fictional feed that you are broadcasting. Could be very cool and dynamic if done well within a small game and area, with branching dialogue and events for multiple playthroughs.
leftshoe18 wrote: 07 Nov 2023Return to Silent Hill wrapped filming in July, didn't it? That's plenty of time for post-production to finish and them to hit a spring/summer 2024 date.
Ah, yes, that's right. And, in fact the film was originally listed for April 2024 release before deletion.
https://www.xfire.com/return-to-silent- ... 4-release/

I don't know how the strikes will affect it. Principle photography was done before the strikes, but if some reshoots in post were needed, then what? Also studios have delayed releasing other near finished films in order to have content to release down the pike to fill out next year as other projects have halted. Dune Part 2 is a key one. Another reason being that the cast members can't help promote the film.

There are hopes things will be resolved by the time the Academy Awards roll out, but that's cutting close to March/April, and studios have future release dates in limbo. I could see the film being held back for October. Dune is currentlyset for March tentatively after already shifting it's date 3 times. Other films might shift their dates to avoid releasing too close to it.

Interestingly enough, The Short Message leaks set it in Germany, and that's where Return to SH was filming, though the film is obviously set in the USA.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I hadn't considered the potential impact of the actor strike since I had stopped keeping up on strike news a while ago.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Well, some good news is that it seems the strike is actually ending today. So maybe things are still good and on track. We'll likely start hearing more release dates dropping. Dune will likely stick to March, and an April timeframe for SH is doable. But I still expect some minor delays.

As for SH2 the game, Sony likes to put something out around March, so I'd guess then, and if April sticks around for the movie, that's close enough for some cross marketing.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

*double post bump*

A little news from awhile ago, Eurogamer had pointed out a Konami tweet that's a recruitment drive for an internal Konami Silent Hill Team. They point out that this is interesting because all of the announced projects - Townfall, f, SH2 Remake – are all being developed by external studios.
https://www.eurogamer.net/konami-is-loo ... l-projects

"The 'Silent Production Team' is recruiting artists, planners, engineers, and project manager," Konami explained in the recruitment drive. Please join us in this work, which has many fans overseas! A chance to be involved in game production in a cutting-edge development environment."
https://twitter.com/KONAMI_career/statu ... 1056303305

The Short Message could be an internal Konami project, and maybe it was pulled from announcement because they decided to expand it's scope. That or there's another internal SH project in development.
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

Please tell me tonight will be the night for the SH2 remake release date trailer.

Edit: YUP there it is!!! And short message shadow drop!

Edit 2: Short message was kind of meh... Still better than nothing.

Edit 3: It wasn't a release date trailer just a gameplay/combat trailer
Last edited by sh#1fan on 02 Feb 2024, edited 1 time in total.
oO?
Tuniko
Just Passing Through

Post by Tuniko »

I really hope that they improve a lot on the sh2 remake. This trailer reminds me of Homecoming. And thats not good at all
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

So it seems like a lot of people are worried about this game SH2R. I definitely see that, and why they are concerned. However I won't completely judge or condemn the game based on the few things we have been shown. At best it could be a masterpiece that blows everything we thought out of the water. At worst it could just be a broken buggy mess with horrible gameplay and no atmosphere or heart of the original. To me it genuinely looks like a fan made game/remake of SH2 with a bigger budget than a Indy game. I genuinely think they cared for this project and they worked there asses off to the best of there ability. Also keep in mind this is Boober teams first actual game with combat (iirc). If all it is, is just a fan made game I'm fine with that. At least We get something. I'm so desperate for anything Silent Hill at this point.
Now if the game turns out to be total dogshit then I will definitely call it out, but I'm genuinely excited to see what this game will be.
I still wish they would have remade the first silent hill game though lol.
oO?
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

State of Play was actually pretty good. Even the other stuff I normally don't care about looked well presented, including VR. And the DS2 trailer at the end followed by the new Kojima announcement was the stuff of E3 dreams!

Glad to finally get new Silent Hill news. The shadow drop of The Short Message was great and we finally know what those leaks were all about! I don't have a PS5 yet, I'll get one in 2025 for Death Stranding, but I have friends that do, so I'll try this out at their place. Want to play this before heading into our new forum section! :)

SH2 Remake trailer... I have thoughts I'll get to. The graphics are a significant step back from the impression of the first trailer. It's possible the footage is old. Dusk Golem said he saw similar stuff back in May last year. No release date yet is concerning... Though I still think later this year is possible.
Chris Sunderland

Post by Chris Sunderland »

I enjoyed TSM alot. SH2 looks good as well. Glad shits finally in motion with the series.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]