TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Everything we know - and don't know, I guess - about all those Silent Hill rumours.

Moderator: Moderators

NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Re: TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Post by NanayaShiki »

I haven't heard any credible outlet reporting on the notion of Bloober being removed from the project, so I'd take that discord with a huge grain of salt.

And modern video games, regardless of how linear they are or if they are based on existing works, don't take 2 years to make. That just doesn't happen anymore, not if you want a game with quality and devs that aren't crunched into oblivion. That said, we don't know exactly when this game began development. Based on rumors it was at least a bit before they officially announced it, so it's really quite hard to pinpoint when it might come out. Could be next year, could be three years from now. If I had to guess, I'd say late next year, but that's just pure speculation. I do hope they give us another trailer before the year is up for some kind of hint towards it's release. But I also do think people are being a bit impatient. There's games I've been waiting a decade for, one year since this one's announcement really isn't that much.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Demons Souls Remake began development by Bluepoint right on the heels of 2018's Shadow of the Colossus Remake and released in 2020.

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy Remake was announced in 2016, released 2017. That same year, A Spyro trilogy remake was considered, then teased in 2018 and released late 2018.

Remakes, especially exclusives/timed exclusives are very fast to make, especially if they stick to the basic design.

People underestimate how much time is taken up in pre-production and the conceptual stages. But if the basic work already exists, it can be quick.

Of course SH2 Remake is not a 1:1 Remake, so it'd be more fair to compare it to Capcom's efforts.

RE2 Remake began in 2015 and released in 2019. 4 years, but across multiple platforms, and is a radically different gameplay experience compared to the original, and that same development period also overlapped with RE3 Remake simultaneously which began a little time after in 2016 and within RE2's same development pipeline and released in 2020. So 3 years alongside RE2. One of the reasons Capcom did this is because RE2 and 3's story timelines overlapped and co-developing them together helped the team maintain consistency narratively. Granted, some of RE3's original locations were cut.

I don't know how ambitious Bloober is being with SH2, but assuming they themselves want to stick closely to the original considering it status, a 2-3 development period is in line with the industry for remakes. In fact the shorter dev times for remakes versus original content is why we're seeing many remake projects or nu-reboots under consideration everywhere, particularly Remasters. The only slowdown began due to the disruption of government lockdowns and moves to remote working solutions which were painful and have still stalled things to this day.

From what has been reported, SH2 Remake allegedly began dev in 2019 under Konami, so even with government disruption, it's going on 5 years now. Given it's reveal in 2022, we can safely assume that active development was latest by early 2021 as Yamaoka teased it in Feb 2021, a month after The Medium's release on Xbox, which he worked on with Bloober, and Bloober announced their partnership with Konami in Summer 2021.

For reference, The Medium was originally conceived in 2012, for a release in 2012, but also shelved that same year until SSDs in next gen consoles made it viable with Microsoft introducing it to devs, around 2019, after which Medium was announced in 2020, intending to release in late 2020, but the lockdowns delayed things and it released in Jan 2021, and ported later that same year to PS5. So Bloober do work fast.

I'm guessing early 2024 if not late 2023 is doable for SH2. But I believe the window for 2023 has closed. Sony likes to have a big game in the spring, so SH2 could be it.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

The first three games you mentioned aren't even full ground up remakes given they used the originals as a base. Bluepoint literally built on top of the PS3 game for Demons Souls. The developers of Crash Bandicoot Trilogy directly said they consider it more of a "remaster plus" than a "remake". As far as we know that isn't happening with Silent Hill 2.

Personally, I'm not convinced that development of Silent Hill 2 Remake began in 2019. There were a lot of rumors of various projects back then but the stuff that began to solidify around a SH2 by Bloober wasn't until later. Specifically, their deal with Konami was made in 2021. This was right after The Medium came out, which would have been taking up their time. So I think proper development didn't begin until 2021, that's what all the actual evidence points to. I'm sure the discussions and planning began before that but I don't think it's accurate to say the game has been in development since 2019.

My point stands, all the same. Video games take a long time to make nowadays, especially AAA ones. For the level of quality people want from a Silent Hill 2 remake, we want to be more patient than calling the game vaporware less than one year after it's announcement. If I had to guess I would say a late 2024 date makes sense and it'd be nice to get one more trailer before the year is up but I don't think there was ever any chance of the game coming out this year. But we also have to consider the movie. They're probably going to want to time things with that regardless of how far long it is.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Yeah, I'm guessing the new Gans movie would be a significant reason to time the game's launch for. As Gans has been speaking often of both the film and game being worked on in tandem in interviews. The movie, last we heard was 1/3 of the way through shooting back in May.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/376 ... ophe-gans/

It could also be the case that Ascension is closer to launch and they've probably learned to try and focus on one project launch at a time.

Anyway, TGS is a no-go. I'd be surprised if Konami made nice with Keighley and has something for the Game Awards, but it's possible that Sony themselves could want it there and handle that relationship.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Scratch that.

The director of SILENT HILL ƒ tweeted an image of the game's logo on TGS' stage and then quickly deleted it. So it appears we may be seeing something after all.
Last edited by The Adversary on 22 Sep 2023, edited 1 time in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Do we know if that's legit?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Droo wrote: 21 Sep 2023 Do we know if that's legit?
It was the director’s official Twitter account and then it was immediately deleted. Seems legit.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Yeah but do we know the image of the alleged original tweet was real? It's hard to know what's real of fake anymore these days.
Lives in the mirror"
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

It's real in the sense that the logo was indeed present in a reel of upcoming Konami games. At least that's what I gather from what has been said since, with the director saying he just posted it because it was cool to see the logo for his game up there. He probably should have clarified why he was posting the image the first time rather than just post it without context, though I assume that's why he deleted it.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Could simply be that Konami had a general run-down on all the stuff they are working on and showed a bunch of logos for various games with f being one of them. Nothing out of the ordinary. The tweet was likely just the director casually reminding people this game exists, but then deleted it as he didn't want to create expectations that there was anything significant happening at TGS outside of Konami showing a logo in passing on a screen.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

*Double post bump*

Bloober is teasing what looks like a new Layers of Fear game.
https://twitter.com/BlooberTeam/status/ ... 7748685976

So it looks like they are ready to move on, suggesting SH2 development is winding down.

The SH2 page in Steam also received achievement language support updates, which are things usually done at the tail end of development.
https://twitter.com/LostinSilentH/statu ... 0235137283
Droo

Post by Droo »

I think what Bloober is teasing is a Layers of Fear TV show/movie.
Lives in the mirror"
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

jdnation wrote: 09 Oct 2023 The SH2 page in Steam also received achievement language support updates, which are things usually done at the tail end of development.
I thought it was going to be a PS5 exclusive for a little bit? Like final fantasy 16.
oO?
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

sh#1fan wrote: 10 Oct 2023I thought it was going to be a PS5 exclusive for a little bit? Like final fantasy 16.
Yes, specifically as a console exclusive for PS5, but also PC at launch.

Basically, no Xbox/Nintendo, which Microsoft believes can only happen if Sony allows it as per their FTC arguments.

Droo wrote: 09 Oct 2023 I think what Bloober is teasing is a Layers of Fear TV show/movie.
Turnes out it was just a music video tribute for the anniversary. :lol:
Droo

Post by Droo »

And a free DLC new chapter for Layers of Fear as well.
Lives in the mirror"
Droo

Post by Droo »

During a post-episode interview with Jacob Novak after the second episode of Ascension last night, he let slip the new games are coming next year or the year after that. :)

I take that to mean SH2R at the very least in 2024, possibly Townfall. I still don't see us getting f before 2025 though.
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think we'll get SH2 Remake and Return to Silent Hill next spring. We'll get either Townfall or f next fall. And we'll get the remaining game the following spring. And then I hope it's not another decade after that before Silent Hill gets another go.

Anyway, does anybody know when the weekly recap episodes for Ascension are supposed to release?
Droo

Post by Droo »

Weekly. ;)
Lives in the mirror"
Droo

Post by Droo »

Konami seems to have revealed SH2R isn't the only remake coming: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... l-remakes/
Lives in the mirror"