TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Everything we know - and don't know, I guess - about all those Silent Hill rumours.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

TWO New SH Games In Development??? (New SH Game Rumours)

Post by Droo »

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2020/01/21 ... JMqjACpMi0

Report by a reputable leaker that Konami has been working on two new SH games. One a soft reboot of the series and another in the style of Until Dawn.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Caim
Historical Society Historian

Re: TWO New SH Games In Development???

Post by Caim »

I just read this and came right back to the forums to look for a thread. I wish we didn't have to deal with all of this leak bullshit. Is it real or is it not?!
Working on two games at once is pretty strange, but I guess it's not super unheard of. Hopefully they're not just spreading themselves too thin, trying to hit a bunch of different genres at once.
I like both of those ideas, though. I love TWD and Until Dawn quite a bit, and Silent Hill has always had multiple endings, so it could work. I also like the soft reboot idea, too. It has definitely been long enough to do it. I wonder if it would be a different story, or if they would try and remake a past game? ...Like 2? Hoo boy, that would be... difficult.
I was looking at selling my PS4 and getting a PC literally today so, depending on what I do, I only hope for two things: a PC release, and, above all, it being GOOD.
A dead person can't write a letter... it's illegal.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I think we all kind of suspected that Konami had something like this in the works. I kind of thought maybe they'd be doing it themselves but I guess continuing to outsource the series is probably a better bet, assuming they actually have a competent and well funded developer doing it.

I'm not really crazy about the telltale style entry, but the soft reboot I'm down for.

Before anyone in this thread gets too worked up or has the wrong idea about what the phrase means, a "soft reboot" is not a "reboot". It's NOT throwing out the old series to create a new canon or remaking any stories from the past, the "soft" part of the term means that it's still set within the same world as the past entries, but it's story is completely original and removed from any baggage of past games.

Honestly, many Silent Hill games in the past could have been considered "soft reboots", and I'm really glad to hear that they'd be doing that instead of trying to tie it back into the SH1 stuff because that didn't work so well for Origins or Homecoming.

Assuming of course, this turns out to be true. It sounds believable from an actual credible source this time (unlike all past SH revival rumors) but until we know for sure, I'm not getting my hopes up. Plus, with Konami's current reputation, it's going to have to be REALLY GOOD for people to trust them.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

A soft reboot could be great for the series. Resident Evil 7 revitalized that series after RE6 kinda took the original story as far as it could go (though I'd argue that the main story should have ended with RE5). As for the Until Dawn style game: It's an interesting idea and I'd be excited to try it out but I'd definitely be more excited about a traditional survival horror game.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Rely on Horror also claims they've heard similar stuff.

https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-new ... velopment/

It sounds like what I'd suspected, Konami will only bother if some other external developer also shoulders the risk so Konami's own investment can be smaller that it used to be for the chance of a higher return.

Doing a TellTale/QuanticDream style of title does match that scenario as these games tend to be cheaper to make, in that they are simpler to execute, and also... this is important for Konami... can be developed in a manner that is more mobile-friendly. So it can be ported.

As for a more traditional game, I'll believe it when I see it. But if they are willing to scale back the scope to the more traditional linear level puzzle style of the original games and don't aim for more wide linear or open-world scope, then they can make something pretty good on a smaller budget. No doubt they are seeing Capcom's success with remakes, and the quick turnaround from RE2 to 3. They are likely also looking at the market where indies of smaller scope are doing well enough.

This is ultimately going to come down to which external developer is willing to do something. There were other rumors surrounding Kojima and Sony and Toyama. And it's not out of the question now that Sony could partner with other pubs for a first-on-PlayStation exclusive before its ported elsewhere.

Also, a part of me wanted to wish that BluePoint was remaking Silent Hill, while everyone believed they were doing Demons Souls :P
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

We shall see, my friend. I'm not holding my breath.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

So the one thing in the back of my mind is that if this has been in development for two years and is close to being shown, then unfortunately the success of RE2 Remake this past year could have come to late.

Though I suppose there's no point in such speculation until we see more, if this turns out legit.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'm very intrigued by both, but I guess I'm just happy that something seems to be happening that isn't a slot machine.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

More people are speaking up that Sony is developing a horror title.
https://twitter.com/Vullein/status/1219 ... 45920?s=19
https://segmentnext.com/2020/01/22/new-horror-ip-sony/

Though this could pretty much mean anything - Bloodborne 2, New Siren... etc. But the insider states it's a new IP.

Given that ray tracing and lighting and other things are getting a big boost next-gen, a title with horror atmosphere makes sense.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Caim wrote:[...]Working on two games at once is pretty strange [...]
Konami itself did it with Downpour and Book of Memories!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was in development, and I trust the team at Rely at Horror completely, so fingers crossed, eh?! :)
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I wonder if our little community will pick up again with the release of a new game. :)
Lives in the mirror"
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Hopefully.

I don't think forums can ever be as populated now as they were ten years ago, but I'm sure some old regulars will at least come back when stuff starts happening along with a few drive by posters.
Droo

Post by Droo »

NanayaShiki wrote:
I don't think forums can ever be as populated now as they were ten years ago
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Lives in the mirror"
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

News is what keeps forums alive. Even the Metal Gear forums saw decline once Kojima was out. Eventually, people move on...

While it's true that SHF may never return to how big it used to be, I'm sure that announcements of major new games or movies will see people returning to discuss them somewhere.

At some point one of the streaming services will have the bright idea for a Silent Hill TV series. It's only a matter of time.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I mean look I feel like I'm now old enough to be the stubborn type that doesn't let go of how things were back in MY DAY. I'll always prefer forums to social media, but the former is very rare these days. Most people have developed internet habits that lend less to hanging out on a forum and talking with people about a specific thing.

But as long as there are other stubborn old people hanging onto the same internet glory days as I am, there can still be a few forums like this.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Social media is too slap-dash. The Facebook group for this site for example doesn't have nearly the same sense of community as we had (have?) here.

Seeing how many posts a member has, being able to easily quote stuff, seeing an icon for any topic that has new replies. Forums are just the superior discussion method if you ask me.

God, I miss this place from back when it was hopping and over just an hour away you could miss so much content being posted.

I'm glad we still have some stalwarts here though! <3 I'm so glad to be back on a more regular basis.
Lives in the mirror"
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

I find it much more manageable in its current form. Used to really stress me out, watching it go down every month because of bandwidth etc., as well as trying to keep up with the conversations. In the end, I just stopped trying - it was too big! I think forums have had their day and social media has all but replaced them, but as long as I can afford to keep the lights on here, I will. :)
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Just popping in to say I'm also a Forums person and am like, invested in this place for life.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Flanker_27
Just Passing Through

Post by Flanker_27 »

Well, it'd be logical for Konami to try a reboot of one of their best, more popular series: their competitor, Bandai Namco, has hit a gold mine with Ace Combat 7, a return to the initial nature of a franchise they had driven into the ground by experimenting with it too much. So, the decision takers at Konami must be thinking that if Bandai can do it, they probably can do it as well.

... I'm just glad that if the rumor is true, this means the game will be there in a year and a half at least, probably more. Because until this summer, I'm working double time on a massive market analysis around Berlin flats for sale, so I won't have much time for gaming!
Last edited by Flanker_27 on 17 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I'm not a social media guy.

Only really have to use it for work and work contacts, nobody else.

Besides the only thing people use social media to discuss nowadays is to argue about politics. And as evidenced by that, social media sucks for more thorough discussions.

Anyway, there was this thing floating around before this rumour broke -
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/e ... exclusive/

The only reason people are looking at it again now is because it also mentioned 'soft reboot' for Silent Hill. But one could easily guess that as well. But what leads to doubt is that it claims Sony is trying to 'buy' those IPs. First off, Konami wouldn't sell them, and Sony is not going to waste their time trying.

But since the poster says his English is bad, it could be that he just confused the word 'license', in that Sony could feasibly license Konami's IPs. It's not unusual for the first parties to make games they don't own the IPs of.

But it also sounds like a pipe dream. I doubt Kojima wants anything more to do with Metal Gear, unless his role is just as a consultant if another team wants to make it. I doubt Sony has any interest in Castlevania.

There might be interest in Sony for Silent Hill, considering their involvement with distributing P.T. and the hype around it, and that we know they've been trying to do some horror related stuff. Silent Hill could also lead to hype for PS5, and the title of this scale wouldn't necessarily be too long or expensive to make if they intend it as a more linear graphics showcase. Kojima probably also wants to try horror, and Sony could use this 'Silent Hills' revival as a hype generator, and the Konami board will just see it as a win-win situation where they just let Sony do the work and then cash a cheque, which in turn might drive interest in their own brand of Survive/Slots/Mobile spin-offs of Silent Hill. But it's really wishful thinking.

Ikumi Nakamura has been hanging around a lot of Sony first party devs since leaving Capcom, so it'll be interesting if she was brought on board for Sony's horror title.