Wild speculation

Everything we know so far about No Code's upcoming take on Silent Hill...

Moderator: Moderators

saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Wild speculation

Post by saevitia »

With so little information to go on, share your wildest speculations about what Townfall might be.

My shot in the dark guess is that it will be about Silent Hill "infecting" other towns with its power.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Wild speculation

Post by The Adversary »

The first image on the CRTV is scrolling text that reads THY FLESH IS WEAK with three dots.

Next is what looks like an abandoned street with a car and wall.

Then it appears to be two people, both of whom are holding glass bottles, possibly cheersing.

Next is a pretty grotesque/burned body. Kind of looks like she is clutching a baby.

Then there's a hallway with dark wood floors and a white doorway at the end.

Then another completely burned body hunched over.

Then there's another street with a wall and car.

Next is an industrial hallway with tubes and pipes covering the ceiling, completely drenched in red and orange lighting with smoke/fog.

Then it finishes with a man wearing thick, black glasses.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Well, the trailer is basically a wannabe version of Kojima's "Dad was such a drag..."-monologue. It's very obvious that they're taking huge inspirations from P.T., which in itself isn't a bad thing, but it's too early to say what this is really about.

Some say it's a new reimagination of SH1 in disguise, based on a burnt body looking like it could be Alessa's, and the guy with the glasses being either Harry or possibly Kaufmann. I think this is an entirely new game, however.

Wild speculation? Based on the dialogue, it could be somewhat cult related. But they also speak about "punishment" which frankly makes me believe that this is just another Western take on the personal hell concept from Silent Hill 2.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I'm wondering if it's like a therapy session in a prison?

You're here to be punizhed... but I think there's something more than that.

Or whatever it said.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Someone somewhere speculated that it could be taking place at the same time as the events of SH1. That does jive with the title... But we also already had 0rigins...
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Jonipoon wrote: 20 Oct 2022Some say it's a new reimagination of SH1 in disguise, based on a burnt body looking like it could be Alessa's, and the guy with the glasses being either Harry or possibly Kaufmann. I think this is an entirely new game, however.

Wild speculation? Based on the dialogue, it could be somewhat cult related. But they also speak about "punishment" which frankly makes me believe that this is just another Western take on the personal hell concept from Silent Hill 2.
Yeah, honestly, the monologue did not give me SH1 vibes at all. I thought of it as just being an original game using the whole personal demons/punishment type theme. There's just very little to go on so far.
saevitia wrote: 19 Oct 2022My shot in the dark guess is that it will be about Silent Hill "infecting" other towns with its power.
That's kind of an intriguing idea. I mean, beyond the instances we've seen. But then again, I like revisiting nostalgic locations in the town too.
LittleNightma
Just Passing Through

Post by LittleNightma »

To me, when it flashes to the man in the glasses, it looks like he’s being interviewed/interrogated, maybe by police, and he’s describing his crimes or maybe his encounters with something.
"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never take on such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand." - George Orwell
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

I saw a post on Twitter speculating that it isn't really about "punishment". If you listen to what the guy is saying, it sounds like the person he is talking to said he was there to be punished, but the interrogator believes he is lying about this and is actually in Silent Hill for another reason. I'm hoping this is the twist and that it may not be what it seems at first.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

The dialogue was interesting. The direct talk about wanting to be punished was a little on the nose but it get more complicated as it went on. The person talking is grouping himself in with the person he's talking to, saying "we", and then there's the line about "being judged by these people". I wonder what people he's talking about and why they are there being judged by them.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

When I watched the trailer, I got this feeling it was in the style of a Robert Eggers movie/trailer (The VVitch, The Lighthouse, The Northman). I thought it was just me, but I was watching some other reaction takes, and someone else also immediately said the same thing. Something about the trailer text, ocean shots and cutting with a quick sound spike make it seem that way.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I'm also getting vibes of Sam Barlow's post-Silent Hill narrative horror games, but can't put my finger on how exactly.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

There are spectrograms hidden in SILENT HILL: TOWNFALL's trailer. It reads

WHATEVER HEART THIS TOWN HAD HAS STOPPED

There is also an SOS signal tucked between the THY FLESH IS WEAK images.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

The Adversary wrote: 21 Oct 2022 There are spectrograms hidden in SILENT HILL: TOWNFALL's trailer. It reads

WHATEVER HEART THIS TOWN HAD HAS STOPPED

There is also an SOS signal tucked between the THY FLESH IS WEAK images.
Read all about this on reddit today, and it's got me so hyped. The "townfall" may be a play on the "downfall of the town" and give us an insight into the town itself and its supernatural origins. Which would be AMAZING.

The coastal scenes are confusing me, tho. I know Silent Hill is a "resort town" but I've never considered it to be on the coast. It's been so long since I've studied the geography of the place, tho - not to mention the discrepancies from game to game - I genuinely can't recall. Does anyone else know?

Also getting a real Sixth Sense vibe with the one-sided conversation on the recording, too...
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Besides Toluca Lake I didn't get the impression that there was any more water near the town.

Could be a beach on Toluca we are seeing though. Didn't we see a beach area in Homecoming? Not that I'm even certain how canon that game still is by now.

Or it could be depicting the Atlantic coast off of Maine.
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

It's been a couple years now since I played Homecoming but I think when you first arrive in Silent Hill proper you're on or near a beach.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I know Silent Hill is a "resort town" but I've never considered it to be on the coast.<
Based on Maine's geography and in-game references/distances, I placed Silent Hill in the northernmost region of Maine, which is nowhere near the coast, where there are several large lakes, so Toluca Lake could easily fit in. I believe I based this on the distance to Portland, Maine, which is in the southernmost area of the state, and its distance to what would be Silent Hill.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I've always placed it in Northwestern Maine in my head canon.

Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I can't find it right now, but I believe SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR shows a sign indicating precisely how far Portland, Maine, is from Silent Hill. Based on that, it would basically require Silent Hill to be in the northern-most area of the state, near Eagle Lake, Square Lake, Long Lake, and Cross Lake.

Additionally, there's a city called Ashland not far to the south from where these lakes are, which could easily be the origin for Ashfield.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
TheLooongMessage
Just Passing Through

Post by TheLooongMessage »

^ Good observation. I'm way more hyped for Townfall than f to be honest. Looks like Townfall will be the closest thing to a classic SH game, unless the rumoured unannounced projects also fill that void.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

Supposedly, No Code has been working on Silent Hill: Townfall since Observation (2019). So, at least this and SH2R have been in development since 2019. I’m also looking forward to a new, yet traditional take on Silent Hill.

https://twitter.com/_NoCode/status/1582845834684616704

I think I’m going to by each SH game that comes out, as they all look promising, and each has something to bring to the table.

As for the large body of water, it could be from a lake bigger than Toluca lake, or it could be from a part of the game not in SH. Alternately, it could just be a motif or mood piece to set the tone of the game.