How Much of the Music Will Be Remade?

It's true: Bloober Team is remaking Silent Hill 2. Talk about it in here to keep Remake talk separate from the original!

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

How Much of the Music Will Be Remade?

Post by Droo »

So it's unclear to me from the trailer and Akira's interview how much of the music will be redone and how much will be the original soundtrack.

I'm hoping that most of it will be original or just slightly reworked versions of the original songs rather than brand new compositions. The usage of the classic SH songs during the Transmission really hammered home how classic those original tracks are.

Can they really improve on Theme of Laura? Promise Reprise? Laura Plays The Piano?

What about you all? How much of the original OST do you want just straight imported into this remake? Or are you open to brand new music from Akira?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
aj4x94
Historical Society Historian

Re: How Much of the Music Will Be Remade?

Post by aj4x94 »

Of course I want to hear a bunch of the original tracks. I think I'd be happy as long as they left a number of the tracks during pivotal scenes like Ordinary Vanity when meeting Eddie, Betrayal during the Twin PH fight, and True after watching the tape.

That being said, I'd welcome some new tracks
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
Caim

Post by Caim »

I guess it depends how likely Akira is into the idea of spiffing up his own work. Does he feel like he can improve on it? Or would he be punching his own babies in the face? I think it's going to be all new compositions, probably. I mean, if they're remaking the rest of the game, why stop at the music? I welcome it, I guess. Take some chances and do new things with it. If it's no good (and it's Akira, so it probably will be) we'll always have the original.
aj4x94 wrote: 20 Oct 2022 Betrayal during the Twin PH fight
If they don't play this during that fight, we riot.
A dead person can't write a letter... it's illegal.
WhiteHarbor
Just Passing Through

Post by WhiteHarbor »

I think most of the original soundtrack will be there just maybe a little reworked with some added tunes or songs to it.
Formerly known as MrCaliche
Writer of Silent Hill: Memories of Age
Now publishing a horror serial per chapters named "White Harbor" inspired by Silent Hill, HP Lovecraft and Stephen King: https://www.patreon.com/WhiteHarbor
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

It will probably be rescored and soundmixed with modern equipment so that it can be optimized for 5.1 audio systems and offer an even more haunting experience than the original. At least that's what I hope, because sound design is one of the most important key aspects of horror.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
WhiteHarbor
Just Passing Through

Post by WhiteHarbor »

Jonipoon wrote: 20 Oct 2022 It will probably be rescored and soundmixed with modern equipment so that it can be optimized for 5.1 audio systems and offer an even more haunting experience than the original. At least that's what I hope, because sound design is one of the most important key aspects of horror.
Definitely
Now publishing a horror serial per chapters named "White Harbor" inspired by Silent Hill, HP Lovecraft and Stephen King: https://www.patreon.com/WhiteHarbor
LittleNightma
Just Passing Through

Post by LittleNightma »

Had Akira not been working on the project, I would be a little more skeptical, but I think he will do the music justice as long as nothing is changed to the point that it’s unrecognizable.
"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never take on such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand." - George Orwell
Droo

Post by Droo »

I'm thinking reworks of the existing songs with maybe a few new ones. The trailer already had slightly different versions of familiar songs in them.
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I think Akira is going to mostly remix and rerecord the existing soundtrack.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

If there are new songs being made, specifically ones with lyrics, I hope Joe Romersa and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn can make a comeback as well.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Jonipoon wrote: 20 Oct 2022 If there are new songs being made, specifically ones with lyrics, I hope Joe Romersa and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn can make a comeback as well.
I can't imagine they wouldn't. But I somehow don't see there being more than maybe one vocal song, since SH2 didn't originally have any. Love Psalm for Book of Memories set Mary's vocals to a rocked up version of the original song. Maybe they'll reuse that one since hardly anyone played BoM?
Lives in the mirror"
Caim

Post by Caim »

Jonipoon wrote: 20 Oct 2022 If there are new songs being made, specifically ones with lyrics, I hope Joe Romersa and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn can make a comeback as well.
Oh damn, I would LOVE this.
A dead person can't write a letter... it's illegal.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I'm hoping that most of it will be original or just slightly reworked versions of the original songs rather than brand new compositions.<
I think based on the trailer alone this will likely be the case with a few originals. Most of the music in the trailer were already reworked version of the originals.

>If there are new songs being made, specifically ones with lyrics, I hope Joe Romersa and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn can make a comeback as well.<
I would almost guarantee Elizabeth McGlynn will make an appearance, for better or worse. As I'm sure everyone knows by now, McGlynn is not my favorite for the series and I really wish she would just dial it the fuck back.
Last edited by The Adversary on 29 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
WhiteHarbor
Just Passing Through

Post by WhiteHarbor »

I love Mary Elizabeth and would love to hear her come back. I was always undef the impression that she voiced Angela and Claudia but under a different name (maiden name?), or am I wrong?

Could someone confirm? Because if that's the case this game would be a great comeback opportunity.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I was always undef the impression that she voiced Angela and Claudia but under a different name (maiden name?), or am I wrong?<
Donna Burke voiced Angela in SILENT HILL 2 and Claudia in SILENT HILL 3. Definitely a different person than McGlynn.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

WhiteHarbor wrote: 20 Oct 2022 I love Mary Elizabeth and would love to hear her come back. I was always undef the impression that she voiced Angela and Claudia but under a different name (maiden name?), or am I wrong?

Could someone confirm? Because if that's the case this game would be a great comeback opportunity.
She voiced Mary and Maria in the HD Collection redub of SH2.
Droo

Post by Droo »

And she was oddly bad in the role despite usually being a great VA.

She was also good in her readings of some of Claudia's lines and the Sun myth on the SH3 OST.
Lives in the mirror"
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

All the actors they got for the HD Collection were great actors, super famous and well known to anyone familiar with video game or anime actors. They just approached it from a very different direction than the original and it doesn't sound "right" to most fans super familiar with how it was before. Though beyond that I do have some issues with how a few lines are delivered, including a pretty major one from Maria.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I honestly prefer most of the HD Collection voices for SH2. I really don't think the stilted acting was a creative choice like so many people think it was since it was about on par with other video game voice acting in 2001.

SH3 on the other hand is more of a mixed bag (which I think is just a result of the original SH3 having much better voice acting than the original SH2).
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Though beyond that I do have some issues with how a few lines are delivered<
The HD Collection's version of James' pizza line is pretty magnificent in all the worst ways.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.