James' missing ring

It's true: Bloober Team is remaking Silent Hill 2. Talk about it in here to keep Remake talk separate from the original!

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

James' missing ring

Post by The Adversary »

In the trailer, as James holds his hand up to his face, you can see an indentation where a ring has been worn on his ring finger.

While this would likely be a missing wedding ring, the problem with that is wedding rings are traditionally worn on the left hand. Engagement rings, meanwhile, are typically worn on the right. In the trailer, he doesn't specify that "his wife" died, so perhaps they're only engaged for SILENT HILL 2: REMAKE.

I've speculated that James was fully aware of his intentions once he picked Mary up from the hospital—that he would take her somewhere to, you know. This may further suggest that he knew so well enough that he took his engagement ring off prior to, you know.

Just an idea.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: James' missing ring

Post by Lifetolifeless »

I have a two friends who wear it on the right hand, but they're both tradesmen who wear it on their non-dominant hand, and they're both left-handed. I've heard similar things about watches, wearing it on your non-dominant hand to minimize likelihood of bonking it into things when workin' with tools in tight spaces. Def stretching there though. James is a right-handed clerk, no?

Unrelated: is this cursive writing on the mirror here? I can't make it out.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

In most countries in the Western world, people are wearing their wedding rings on the right hand. The US and the UK are the biggest exception to this rule, where it's tradition to wear it on the left hand.

In Poland (where Bloober Team is from) it's tradition to wear it on the right hand. This is honestly such a small minor detail that people generally don't think that much about, so I think the Polish people at Bloober Team just went forward with what they're used to.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
LittleNightma
Just Passing Through

Post by LittleNightma »

I am chalking this up to the devs merely wanting us to see the indentation of the missing ring as an extra detail even though it’s on his right hand. James raises his right hand in both versions, so they probably did it out of convenience. However, if they did put that much thought into a small detail like that as you theorize, props to them.
"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never take on such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand." - George Orwell
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

Saw it pointed out by someone that during the noose scene in the trailer he has the ring indent on his left hand. So either they messed up the mirror reflection or he has two missing rings.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

So I just checked it after a mention on the Discord.

He has the indentation on his left hand during the noose sequence, though it's not at all apparent on his right hand, so it's definitely only on one hand. Looks like a mirroring and inconsistency issue, because James' hair part is always the same.
Last edited by The Adversary on 24 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

Yeah I saw someone speculate it could be because they just used a duplicate of James' model on the other side of the mirror like they did before in the original and other old games.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Duplicating the model would be less taxing than raytracing, so that is probably the explanation, but still, that is an inconsistency.
Last edited by jdnation on 24 Oct 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Maybe James is Orthodox Christian.
Nah but seriously MistahJ and The Adversary are probably right and it's just a mistake by the team.
Now I feel dumb cause I didn't even notice the mark before reading this thread.
We are still here...
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Lifetolifeless wrote: 22 Oct 2022 I've heard similar things about watches, wearing it on your non-dominant hand to minimize likelihood of bonking it into things when workin' with tools in tight spaces.
Lefty here. I wear my watch on my right wrist for this very reason.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Lefty here. I wear my watch on my right wrist for this very reason.<
Righty here. I wear my watch on my left ankle for this very reason.

But, no, for real. My watch is always on my left wrist because, as someone who's almost constantly pouring drinks or writing, the thought of brushing my watchband against paper or thunking the watch itself against glass or something is insulting to the watch.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.