Does Ascension Pose a Risk to the Future of the Series?

???

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Does Ascension Pose a Risk to the Future of the Series?

Post by Droo »

So in the Discord we were discussing which of the new SH projects is likely to come out first, and it seems it may be Ascension, with a release window of the Spring.

Of all the projects except perhaps the movie, this is the one that has been met with most skepticism.

If released first, it will be the first new entry in the franchise in a decade. If it doesn't land well with audiences, I started to wonder if that could make this game pose a risk to the plans to revive the series. We know how fickle and reactive Konami can be. If Ascension ends up being a dud, could Konami pull the plug on the rest?

Maybe I'm just twitchy after the fan base has been neglected all these years, but it's making me feel nervous. Thoughts?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Re: Does Ascension Pose a Risk to the Future of the Series?

Post by NanayaShiki »

It'd be weird for this to be first but given it's less of a game and more of some interactive stream story thing I think expectations are lower all around. If it doesn't land I don't really expect it to matter much. I also think SH2R is too far along to cancel. If SH2R and F both bomb then I'd consider the series dead for good, though. At least until another movie comes along they want to tie into...
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I don't think Ascension will be the first. I still believe we'll see the Silent Hill 2 Remake in early 2023 before Ascension comes out. It's had a store page since the transmission in October. I don't think they'd have the page for that up if it wasn't going to be released soon.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

I signed up the night it was announced and have heard precisely nothing else about it, which is also a bit weird, but I'm just hoping that the cream from the numerous devs and artists who've wanted to capitalise on the SH franchise over the years has risen to the top. But honestly... yeah. We know so little about it, it's hard not to nervous. :/

It's possible we'll find out more at TGA although as it's not exactly a game, it's hard to be certain of anything!
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I hope we get some more concrete dates for some of the Silent Hill stuff coming our way. TGA might be a good time to reveal some more info on that front.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I suppose this kind of hybrid format could work well with an audience used to twitch and streams. Even if it's not a memorable experience, it should at least be fun enough, I don't see it putting a negative spin on the name.

It's definitely the project I'm least excited about.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

I don't think so.

The online service game is its own thing, and it is also the most potentially risky. So they've got only one shot to make it succeed.

If it fails, it will not affect the single player releases, those will be judged by their own sales.

If it succeeds, it may potentially make Konami lean more into it to the neglect of more single player titles.

What we've got is a wide assortment of games of different styles at different budgets from different developers. So Konami is trying a bunch of things and seeing what sticks around.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Since most of us probably thought this series was moribund about a year ago, I think the risk to the future of the series is behind us at this point.