???

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Silent Hill Ascension is a streaming interactive TV show

Post by jdnation »

This... explanation comes from Genvid's CEO - Jacob Navok via Twitter:
https://twitter.com/JNavok/status/1663551904054677506

I guess there was a good reason this title was in the 'Silent Hill Media' section of this forum. Vixx knew! :P
"Today @GenvidEnt reveals the first trailer for SILENT HILL: Ascension (SHA), an interactive streaming series rendered real-time, and which will go live later this year as a canonical part of the Silent Hill universe.

The SHA story is about intergenerational trauma. It follows all-new characters from around the world as they confront the horrors they have unleashed. You’ll see terrifying new monsters as the characters are drawn into the darkness by both recent murders and suppressed fears.

We are proud of our work with @Konami and the @SilentHill team led by the outstanding Okamoto Motoi, as well as with our partners at @bad_robot, @Behaviour, and producer @ballmatthew. We believe fans will love this new, intense, and unforgettable SILENT HILL story.

SHA is not a choose-your-own-adventure series or a video game. Viewers will be tuning in live to save characters who are reacting to the audience’s input in real-time.

The fates of characters are in your hands. There will be only one canonical ending, which is what you, the audience, decide. You can help, hurt, guide, and complete missions and puzzles that affect the mental state of our characters.

SHA’s creators don’t know how it will end, nor can they control everything that happens in this story. Every day is different. There are countless places the story and our characters could go. Some will survive. Others won’t. Can you, the audience, save them all?

In coming months we’ll unveil more about SHA, including where to watch it, how to engage, and how to be cast into the show too.

We want to thank @TimSweeneyEpic and Epic Games for helping us improve our work with Metahumans. You can see in the trailer the power that UE brings to even small teams like ourselves. Every shot in that trailer is in-engine, and will be streamed LIVE.

We also have top-notch talent at Genvid leading the project, including Chief Creative Officer @stephanbugaj (Pixar/Telltale), Creative Director @MartyMong (Riot/Telltale) and Production Director Shiaw-Ling Lai (Wizards of the Coast/Telltale).

There has never been anything like SILENT HILL: Ascension in entertainment before. Genvid has developed bleeding-edge tech and content at the nexus of games and media, blending the two into a new, high-fidelity experience shaped by millions.

Experience SHA yourself later this year, and participate every day to leave your legacy on the canon of SILENT HILL. And please stay tuned for more top-tier franchises coming to our interactive streaming platform. We’re excited to unveil the rest of Genvid’s slate soon!"
In response to questions:

"Is this going to be archived, or do i miss out once it's over?"

Absolutely archived. Every day you'll have recap videos of what you missed, and we'll be uploading all the critical scenes and compiling them into weekly episodes so you can just lean back and watch it like Netflix.

So, as a Silent Hill fan and player, am I going to be allowed to actually play? Or am I going to be watching an interactive series?

It's a streaming show, so you are watching an interactive series, like a Bandersnatch on Netflix. There are things to play inside the show (puzzles, sequences, decisions) but it's not meant to be a video game.

Will it be available in other languages? Like French

We have multiple languages coming.

We will need to watch this Daily? How will we be able to keep up with the story? And there are lots of different time zones, will you be doing US, Europe, Asia versions? I am curious, this seems really interesting but I am also confused as to how it works.

We will have streams that overlap in US, Europe and Asia time zones. Unique content in each stream. You do not need to be there live to participate; decisions will have minimum 24 hour availability in advance so that you can also influence the other time zone choices, and you can watch the results later, at your choosing.

We will have daily recaps and weekly episodes compiled so that you can catch up fast.

Can you explain how choices will be made in this series ? Is it a voting system ? So choices are determined by majority ?

Each day there are multiple decisions available. You'll be able to generate influence through puzzles and other mechanics, and you can use that influence on a decision. So the more you participate, the more influence you have on a decision.

Will there be something in place to prevent people killing off characters / sending the series into bad places just for the sake of trolling?

Also, can we replay toe series later and make different choices to see different outcomes if we want?

Yes, we are going to actively manage trolling. We can see if a small number of users have inordinate influence and can rebalance based on that.

I read all of this and am still confused. Can I just buy this and play it alone? I don’t need some racist meme worthy chat ruining my experience

It is an interactive streaming series. You do not need to view chat.

So it’s not a real game that you can buy and play on PS5 (for example). It’s like a twitch thing? Sorry just trying to understand. Thank you for the insight here

Think like interactive Netflix series, available to watch in multiple places. Not on Twitch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what I'm getting from this is that there are script writers and actors, and things have been mo-capped with branching paths etc. in advance. Then each episode releases weekly, and you have that limited time to participate in it. Live users vote on decision making and puzzle-solving. People who engage with the episode more deeply and often will have their decisions more heavily weighed. The majority of engagement opinions and actions will result in certain outcomes before the next episode.

This format means that there is some kind of already-scripted path for a 'season' in terms of content, and it is just characters deaths/personal outcomes that will be open based on voting/viewer success in solving puzzles/what is interacted with etc.

If this season works, then another season will come in the future. How they monetize this is, is unknown. Most likely there will be options for subscribers who can directly interact, and free viewers who can only watch, but can chat and provide advice to subscribers.

Essentially, it may be the same concept as game streamers. You pay to "play" the experience and you can have chat interacting with you, or choose to just "play" it without interaction if you want. And you get your own outcome.

However, the bulk of this interaction results in a 'canonical' outcome based on the what the majority of subscribers do + the devs own discernment where necessary, and adjustments are made to the next episode where the entire season of material is set up in an open reality-show format.

Afterwards, people are free to play the old episode on their own and check out different branching outcomes of what could've been, but no longer affect episodes going forward.

Actors will be recorded in real-time on UnReal Engine, so it's a lot like an interactive stage-play, but where everything is decided upon at the end of the episode as to what they will do next.

As with all things there are very likely fixed outcomes and likely fiddling of the data and outcome funneling towards pre-set scenarios despite what the developers says so that the experience can remain interesting, but there will be a great degree of freedom for changes and updates that will feel very much like the audience is involved in where things are going within a boundary set of multiple outcomes.

The entire experience I think will most likely be run through their website and potential phone apps. It may be possible that an app will be made for consoles, but nothing is known.

---------------

Update the Polygon interview has more info:

https://www.polygon.com/23742338/silent ... vid-konami

- Operates on the same back-end as Twitch
- The project was inspired by the Twitch Plays Pokemon phenomenon. Had hoped to try and attempt something like this on Stadia.
- Chat responses are the gameplay commands.
- Commands are received in real-time to affect outcomes that will be rendered in real-time on the game engine.
- Seems that the choice emphasis is largely on which main characters make it through to the end. Nothing more complicated than that.
- Players seem to choose which character goes down what part/section of the game, and their inputs depend on character actions and whether they are successful at surviving or not.
- Series planned to last for months. New content every day.
- If you miss playing anything on a previous day, you get a recap of what happened the previous day and can only affect things moving forward.
- These previews will be done manually by the team at the end of every day's session.
- Eventually entire episodes will be cut and people can watch them like a TV series.
- Writing team is led by a Telltale writer who also worked on God of War Ragnarok
- More ambitious than I thought, the writing team and new cutscenes will be mo-capped continuously adjusting to the audience's decisions.
- The 'game' will be run on the website as well as apps, even for consoles.
- The trailer is representative of the visual graphics, run on the cloud, comparable to PS5 in power.
- People will see 'Fate-Rails' where they will know up-front what particular outcome the character will go towards based on a decision (redemption, suffering, or damnation). They want the community to argue and debate on the best path to take.
- Currently a potential of 36 different endings.
- The first initial playthrough will be the canon.
- People can still have fun doing non-canonical runs after-the-fact exploring different branches. But not every branch will be available.
- Based on previous experiences, the devs are not too worried about trolls trying to get everyone killed as the overwhelming majority of players always tend to try and help everyone survive, so they expect troll attempts to be minimal.
- They will be trying to make it difficult to have everyone survive, difficulty will be adjusted based on observing how things are going and it will be a very long shot (extremely unlikely) to have every character survive.
- People who just want to watch, can just watch and not engage.
- Business-model/payment plan is not yet ready to be revealed, prices will be variable, being neither $70 for the whole experience, nor $10/month.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Re: Silent Hill Ascension is a streaming interactive TV show

Post by NanayaShiki »

We knew this since the original announcement but the extra details are nice.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I was still under the impression that there would still be some minimal controllable 3rd person aspect, in similar fashion to Until Dawn and Quantic Dream games, only streamed... But nope, it sounds straight up choose-your-adventure-esque with quick time cutscenes.
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

Doesn’t fill me with excitement, but hey, I’ll give it a chance. Oof.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I finally got around to watching the trailer and . . . I still don't get it.

Like. What's the point? I don't wanna be that guy and all, I just . . . don't see what this has to do with Silent Hill.

I'd very much like to be pleasantly surprised, I'm just curious why they didn't reveal the point of this back in October during the Silent Hill Transmission.

I'll watch it—or engage with it?—but I'd rather see something from SILENT HILL ƒ or SILENT HILL: TOWNFALL.

Like. A lot more.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

There is very little in that trailer that actually looks or feels like Silent Hill. This was already my least anticipated part of the Silent Hill revival and that trailer lowered my expectations even further.

Hopefully we get some more info about the other projects soon.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I expect from this the same thing I expect from the SH2 movie (and the SH2 remake tbh).
Nothing. But willing to be surprised.

I'm mostly waiting for Townfall and F.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

We’re obviously not the target audience with this project. I think Konami is trying to draw in new fans with this. With that said, I’ll try to give it a chance.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like it could be legitimately good?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Probably not, but definitely maybe.

I think I'm just confused as to why it has the Silent Hill name attached to it, outside of it being a) a revival of sorts and b) it features guilt and redemption as the catalyst for the story, whatever it may be.

Maybe I'm just being extra judgmental. The trailer just didn't excite me at all, unfortunately.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

It's an ambitious idea certainly, but the part of me that appreciates good writing is naturally worried. Sometimes magical things happen, but that's a long shot. Especially if this is a daily thing.

That said, given what the CEO is saying on places like Twitter and Resetera, this project was something they've had in mind since the Stadia days. They were likely pitching it to multiple publishers and Konami bit and then retroactively let them attach the SH branding overtop.

Konami is really trying different approaches to see what sticks rather than carefully curating the brand. But if it also means we get stuff like F and Townfall, then I ain't gonna complain... Everyone wins here.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I've seen more than one person say they don't know why the SH name is attached to it and I'm like...we don't know anything about it? It may take place in the town. Or connect to its mythos in a major way. We can hardly pass judgment on its connection to the series yet.

I also pointedly don't see those complaints levied at F, even though we know for sure it doesn't take place in the town at all. And decades before SH1.

I think people are giving F a pass since it's a proper "video game" (so far as we know we haven't actually seen anything of it really). But many aren't even willing to give this a chance, even though it's exactly what we all claimed to want when the games were sucking: something experimental and new.
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

This quote bugs me a little bit in regards to it taking place in Silent Hill or not:

"It follows all-new characters from around the world as they confront the horrors they have unleashed."

From around the world? So are these people from different countries going to be magically transported to Silent Hill in their nightmares or something? That might actually be an interesting idea, but I'm still not sure how I feel about Ascension in general.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Or it could mean their experiences take place where they are. I think the town will show up eventually but maybe not right away. As characters investigate what is happening to them maybe they learn about similar things being reported in Maine and end up in Silent Hill by the end.

F takes place in Japan. SH4 took place in Ashfield for the most part. The opening of SH3 was in Portland. We already know the events of the games aren't necessarily tied geographically to the town itself. That may very well have been something they were planning to explode in Silent Hills, given the title.
Lives in the mirror"
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Their description makes it seem like a pandemic of fear is spreading around the world. Like a contagion of sorts.

This serves their main goal which is obviously international appeal to get the biggest/diverse audience they can to participate.

I wouldn't think too hard about how this has consistency with the scope of the original games. Maybe they have something clever, but it is what it is to serve the business plan - an interactive experience with a deliberately vague scenario which could be moulded to fit anything from Silent Hill to Resident Evil to Five Nights at Freddy's.