Joseph Schreiber really was losing his mind (E3 Trailer stuff)

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Joseph Schreiber really was losing his mind (E3 Trailer stuff)

Post by The Adversary »

These are unused shots from the SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM E3 trailer, depicting what appears to be Joseph Schreiber sitting at his desk, plugging in some headphones, and scrawling symbols and words across his hands and arms, so much so that his right hand is covered down to his fingers.

What I find interesting in particular is that Henry isn't shown at all in the trailer. I wonder if an early concept had Joseph, or whoever he might have been, as our protagonist and then was later altered to make Henry as the playable character and Joseph as a side character.

Regardless, I think this sheds a little more light on the nature of Joseph while he obsessed over solving the mystery behind Walter Sullivan and his death.
Last edited by The Adversary on 29 Mar 2023, edited 1 time in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Re: Joseph Schreiber really was losing his mind (E3 Trailer stuff)

Post by alone in the town »

I've said for years that Silent Hill 4 would have been a much better game if Joseph was the character and focus of the story, rather than some dude who moves into his place after he dies and reads Joseph's notes telling us about the more interesting adventures he got to have.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Definitely agree. I've considered tweaking my whole DREAMS, but not mine story into something more about Joseph, though I haven't quite thought too much about it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
LittleNightma
Just Passing Through

Post by LittleNightma »

Joseph was the true star of SH4 and he was dead :P
"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never take on such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand." - George Orwell
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

I think more than any game in the franchise that the Room needs a remake, no, a reimagining even. It's a typical amazing concept, mixed execution. In fact it's concept really props the quality of the adventure.Its a game that needed another year in the oven at least.I really would love to see a quality developer given the reigns to do SH4 reimagining and complete expansion on its core concepts.

Those early trailers for the game were some of the best ever made in the medium. THEY went HARD, so to speak.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Chris Sunderland wrote: 12 Feb 2024 I think more than any game in the franchise that the Room needs a remake, no, a reimagining even.
That's what I was thinking since the SH2 remake was announced. SH4 had such a strong start, but then the second half of the game happens. It deserves some love and care that a "soft" reimagining could bring it.
The worlds we traversed in the first part being radically different during the second half, more twisted and unreal, fully immersed in dream logic. The room which was once a safe haven becoming hostile in ways beyond a few (admittedly cool) hauntings, perhaps a world within itself, like the looping hallway of PT.
It is also a game that presents a unique opportunity to make a statement on the true crime genre which went really mainstream since the pandemic. Time and time again, victims are reduced to mere numbers on their killer's belt, completely stripped of their humanity. It would be nice if we got to learn about them the way we do about Walter. At least a little bit. Tying them together with themes of isolation, oppression, and loss of control, which follow both Walter and Henry. Driving the point that they too are humans who had their own struggles to overcome, and hopes for the future.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Except Andrew, fuck that guy.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Hopefully with fewer burping nurses this time if remade.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"