I like this essay on SH4. Sharing.

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteHarbor
Just Passing Through

I like this essay on SH4. Sharing.

Post by WhiteHarbor »

I have always been in the crowd that really likes Silent Hill 4 despite of its flaws or the ways in which it doesn't match the expectations of a Silent Hill game.

This particular essay sort of confirms some of the theories I had about the games development. I like this so take a moment to check it out if you want.

https://youtu.be/WyWrrdn3l94
Formerly known as MrCaliche
Writer of Silent Hill: Memories of Age
Now publishing a horror serial per chapters named "White Harbor" inspired by Silent Hill, HP Lovecraft and Stephen King: https://www.patreon.com/WhiteHarbor
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Re: I like this essay on SH4. Sharing.

Post by Jonipoon »

That's a pretty well-produced essay. Well done to the creator.

I've known for a long time that The Room was much more influenced by Japanese horror/folklore compared to previous entries, but this was a great in-depth look at behind-the-scenes for the game's development. It's pretty fascinating that it didn't hit well with the domestic audience in Japan, but I suppose the appeal of the series was always rooted in the surreal perspective of Western horror through Japanese eyes - even in Japan itself.

Although I've always respected the people who don't like the game compared to 1-3, I've never respected the ones who cling on to that old debunked myth that it was never supposed to be a Silent Hill game. You're free to dislike it, but you should dislike it for the valid reasons and not the made-up ones that only lead to unnecessary beef among fans.

Personally, The Room will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm generally a sucker for games where you find out the clues about what's going on through notes, memos and extensive exploration. Of course, a game should still be able to hold up to the average gamer who generally skips notes. For example, the hidden story about Umbrella in the first Resident Evil is mainly told through notes, but even if you skip those notes you'll still understand the basic premise of the game and the final confrontation will still make sense. That's not really the case for The Room, and I understand the people who found it too confusing. It's a shame though, because they'll never appreciate the superb story and lore of the game that, in my opinion, is only rivaled by Silent Hill 1.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.