Brahms

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Brahms

Post by Anonymous »

This is sort of a joint topic.

Gans was curious about the spelling of the town Cybil is from. In both games, SH1 and Sh2, I've seen it spelled "Brahms"....

The other curious thing. Didn't Cybil call it "the next town over"?

According to Sh2, Brahms is 265 miles west from the Observational Deck area. How can Brahms seriously be the next town over?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Brahms is 265 miles west from the Observational Deck area.
Try 26.5 miles.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I looked for a decimal and couldn't find anything....
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Well, that's what it is, given the other two distances mentioned. 1.0, 5.0, & 26.5. You can tell by the rank screen, and how far James has traveled.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, I'm not denying it or anything, since it makes sense.

I'm observing the map and I can see where you think the In Water ending doesn't make sense. The bank looks to be almost a mile from the Observation Deck. But looking at this, I kind of feel the map isn't exactly accurate to the game's design. I just feel the Deck is much closer to the water's edge than the map shows, although there does seem to be a downwards slope.

You dont think its possible that time had elapsed between the FMV and the point to where it fades to black? It seems like he could have driven off Nathan Ave. and ended up in the lake. I wish I could discuss it with you somewhere one on one, instead of getting lost in a topic discussion.
boblecon1096
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by boblecon1096 »

Well it can be 265 miles from the observation deck but considering the fact that Cybil appears in Old Silent Hill which far in the north of South Vale, the miles may have dropped down a little :P

EDIT: It can possibly be called "the next town over" because maybe it's the closest town to SH :?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>because maybe it's the closest town to SH
That's just impossible. The state of Iowa is about 250 miles, east-to-west. To say that there are absolutely no cities between Silent Hill and anywhere else for 265 miles is outrageous.

Besides: Ashfield is only six hours away.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I was going to post this exact same question before the hack,but while it was down I simply came to the conclusion that the M by the distances was meters not miles as americans are use to.I figured they did it with the meteric system since it is an international measuring system.
boblecon1096
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by boblecon1096 »

meters???

Usually, distances between two locations are in kilometers no?? :lol:

About Brahms being the closest town, can it be the closest town at 2.65 miles??
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, it doesnt have to be the closest to be "the next town over"...Over could mean any direction, but I'm assuming West.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

"The next town over" implies the next large, or important, town nearest Silent Hill. For example: Topeka, Kansas is "the next town over" to Lawrence--at, hey, lookit that!: round 25 miles apart.

Seriously. Just check James' travel-distance upon completing the game.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Redder
Just Passing Through

Post by Redder »

Take into consideration that if Silent Hill is based anywhere in New England, the "next town over" is usually only around 4 or 5 miles away from the next in most parts.

:wink:
Last edited by Redder on 01 Jan 2006, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1060]Free Speech[/url]
This is a community, and you have freedom of speech, but as a community, that freedom is restricted if you're intending to use it for offending purposes, or to simple belittle your fellow members. Remember, your freedom ends where the other person's freedom starts.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Yeah.. New England is rather small and rarely, if ever, has huge gaps between towns and cities. Not even Maine or upstate New York. It would make more sense to have it be 26.5 or even 2.65; Silent Hill is isolated, yes, but not that isolated.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The problem with it being 2.65 is that: signs aren't made to be that precise. They're generally only made in quarter-miles--.25, .50, .75. The distance here, 2.65, would be highly unusual.

Secondly, the decimal would likely be in the same place for each distance on the sign. Thus:

That, too, would be unlikely--especially considering Paleville is much farther than one-tenth of a mile away.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

And even then, there still isn't a decimal there anywhere.
28/m/nazareth
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by 28/m/nazareth »

Silent Hill breaks many rules. Couldn't it just be that the rules of distance do not apply there?
Risk Racism: Putting all the yellow pieces on Asia
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

the Adversary wrote:"The next town over" implies the next large, or important, town nearest Silent Hill. For example: Topeka, Kansas is "the next town over" to Lawrence--at, hey, lookit that!: round 25 miles apart.

Seriously. Just check James' travel-distance upon completing the game.
I like this idea. I dunno how Maine is, but here in Virginia, there really aren't many 'towns', per se. Most small towns and villages here aren't officially incorporated and don't have their own names, therefore, when you travel on main roads, most of the distance markers are for certain streets. The 'next town over' even here can be 20+ miles apart. People who live twenty miles away from Richmond have Richmond, VA mailing addresses.

But, in Pennsylvania, there are many more incorporated towns, and you're constantly seeing municipal limit signs when you drive through. For instance, when I go home to Wilkes-Barre, and I travel around town seeing what relatives I have left there, I can pass through more than a dozen little townships going from one end of the area to the next. Urban limits are much more rigid in Pennsylvania.

So, I think Silent Hill's locale is probably a lot more like Virginia in nature than Pennsylvania, which would easily explain the distance.
Room312
Just Passing Through

Post by Room312 »

the Adversary wrote:>because maybe it's the closest town to SH
That's just impossible. The state of Iowa is about 250 miles, east-to-west. To say that there are absolutely no cities between Silent Hill and anywhere else for 265 miles is outrageous.

Besides: Ashfield is only six hours away.

Maybe I missed something? How was did you come to the conclusion that Silent Hill is in Iowa? I'm not questioning your judgement, but if you could just clear it up.
love walked alone
the rocks cut her tender feet,
and the brambles tore her fair limbs.
there came a companion to her,
but, alas, he was no help,
for his name was heart's pain.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I think he's using Iowa as a reference for size, not an implication that Silent Hill is located there.
B5160-R

Post by B5160-R »

How big is Silent Hill anyway? Population? (I could've sworn it was mentioned somewhere in the game.)
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]