Who created the Otherworld in Silent Hill 2?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Because, while everyone has the ability to experience their own personal Otherside, only in one game does this actually happen (Silent Hill 2). In the other games, the Otherside is manifested by someone much stronger in the ability than the average joe, and therefore other people are pulled into the same zone, so to speak. So, in Silent Hill 4, neither Henry nor Eileen are seeing their own Otherside. They see Walter's influence. So does everyone else involved.
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

BloodRedLion wrote:Alessa was technically dead in SH1. That didn't stop her influence in the Otherworld.

But, to clarify something, no one "creates" the Otherworld, it's there already. They just have influence on how it appears and such. Like painting on a blank canvas.
I agree. This is especially true in the case of Silent Hill 2 since it is an installment completely separate from Alessa's world and influence.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I just want to nitpick that Alessa wasn't dead in SH1. She was in a coma.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I thought it was bloody obvious to you lads that the other side in SH2 is a byproduct of James's and Mary's frustrations towards each other.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It is. Read the thread. Only like, one guy didn't know.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Oh, sorry. I usually read threads backwards so I made a hames out of it. But that brings me to the following point: why does the discussion linger on, then?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Again, read the thread. It diverged on to some other topic, then it died out after all the various discussion points were resolved, and then you came in, posted in a six month old thread, and stated the obvious answer. I find it hilariously ironic.
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

toadstool wrote:
Well, the Otherworld of 4 comes to life for people who know very little, if anything, about either SH's history or the cult (Eileen, random other tenants, Henry). If it looks different to everyone, then maybe what Walter sees is not the same as what the player characters see.
didnt walternow eileen( isnt she the one who gave him the doll when she was little?
if so ,then thats how she would be involved
I'm not totaly sure of this (trust me my theories sometimes go out there). But weren't all of the victims pre-determined by the ritual of the 21 Sacriments. By that I don't mean that when it was written, the ones who wrote it looked around and said, ok lets come up with some random names. Obviously Walter came up with those victims on his own. But even if Walter did know Eileen (which I'm not saying he didn't), He couldn't have known Henry or Cynthia or Jasper or Andrew or Richard. So where could he have gotten them from? Maybe after he killed himself in prison he started to make things up as he went along.
4 pointing baby monsters, 3 numb bodies, 2 pyramid heads and a split worm? Where's my trusty blade? This one's going to be easy.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Walter met every one of the Sacraments at some time or another, save for Joseph and Henry, who were chosen simply for living in the Room.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

I think Angela was the main player. James is just looking for his wife and is confused by the Maria character. The whole rape/sexual theme, and the abstract daddy, that can all be far more easily connected with Angela than James.
Last edited by Breaka on 11 Jul 2007, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Right. Angela, the person you only see four times, is the main character, not the guy you play as that the entire story focuses around.
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

AuraTwilight wrote:Right. Angela, the person you only see four times, is the main character, not the guy you play as that the entire story focuses around.
I said main player, not main character, as in the person who invoked the otherside.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Still false.

>Walter met every one of the Sacraments at some time or another
Not the kids.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

>Walter met every one of the Sacraments at some time or another
Not the kids.
Dammit, I forgot those two.
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

So did I...damn
4 pointing baby monsters, 3 numb bodies, 2 pyramid heads and a split worm? Where's my trusty blade? This one's going to be easy.
hollywood-01

Re: Who created the Otherworld in Silent Hill 2?

Post by hollywood-01 »

redrum wrote:Alessa created 1, and Claudia created 3, Walter created 4, but who created the one in SH2?
(sorry if this has already been asked or is blindingly obvious, I did use the search thhing, but nothing came up, I would just like to know)
The otherworld is formed by the minds of the people that are in silent hill but the true maker of that place is the god. It still remains a mystery to me who she is, is she really god of the devil, is she good or bad but I know that she is responsible for everything that is going on in silent hill.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wrong. God is actually a product of the Otherworld. It's created by the people who experience it. If you're in Otherworld, you probably created it, the only known exceptions being Alessa/Heather's Otherworlds and Walter's Otherworld.

God is neither a deity nor a demon. It is, like the monsters, a product of the conjurer's mind. Whoever summons the God is also her creator.
The one always despised
Just Passing Through

Post by The one always despised »

How did you come to that conclusion?
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

AuraTwilight wrote:Wrong. God is actually a product of the Otherworld. It's created by the people who experience it. If you're in Otherworld, you probably created it, the only known exceptions being Alessa/Heather's Otherworlds and Walter's Otherworld.

God is neither a deity nor a demon. It is, like the monsters, a product of the conjurer's mind. Whoever summons the God is also her creator.
Everything who can survive in Silent Hill has to be protected by something. Maybe if they summon Evil they can also summon help.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

How did you come to that conclusion?
Lots of things. Reliable canon guidebooks, the games themselves, logic and rules laid down by the series in other instances, and so forth. Everything in Silent Hill that exhibits supernatural qualities is a psionic manifestation, even something as complex as Maria. Why should a simple-yet-powerful, almost mindless monster dubbed "God" be any different?
Everything who can survive in Silent Hill has to be protected by something. Maybe if they summon Evil they can also summon help.
That's not true at all. Depending on your endings, plenty of people escape Silent Hill without any assistance or protection.