How would you guys feel about co-op?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

raptor112
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by raptor112 »

Mephisto wrote: A better idea is to have mutiple playable characters. Take Resident Evil 2 as an example, if you want.
This is something I agree with. I think silent hill would be better served with instead of one long story but 4 to 6 shorter stories. You could cover all bases, some cult stories, some personal sin stories, some that are combat heavy (for slient hill that is) and puzzle light, or the reverse. It would go along way for being able to hold tention and mood. Also you don't even have to have the characters interact, there are multiple ways of tying them together.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: How would you guys feel about co-op?

Post by clips »

I was going to say something along the lines of RE outbreak....where each character has a sort of dedicated skill, but the AI in outbreak ruins the experience...it's a shame because outbreak actually had some creepy environments. I would be able to accept something along those lines than what we're currently seeing BOM...
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

Oh hell to the no! Co-op makes you feel safer. I have no problem with playing with another character a little bit (like the way you play with Maria on sh2) but an entire co-op game would be a distaster. Resident Evil already turned into a co-op action horror game game, (really weak horror). if someday that ever happens to silent hill I would drink acid.
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
RivenZero
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RivenZero »

^ I could not agree with you more CL.

Just the fact that Dead Space 3 is implementing co-op makes me mad. There is way less horror when you know someone has your back.
Thanks again JuriDawn for the amazing avatar & sig!
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Co-op can be enjoyable, but I can really do without it in horror games. Especially Silent Hill, because the isolation factor in much of the series has been a favorite part of it for me.
RivenZero wrote:Dead Space 3 is implementing co-op
It is? :(

Edit: I've seen the trailer, no need to send it.
Last edited by phantomess on 24 Jun 2012, edited 1 time in total.
RivenZero
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RivenZero »

^ Yeah, I'll send you the trailer through private message.
Thanks again JuriDawn for the amazing avatar & sig!
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

yes, but you leave out the fact that Dead Space 3 has a single player mode as well. The co-op mode is just for gamers that wish to experience the game with someone else. it's not like RE5 for god sakes..

anyway, I've always been up for co-op in Silent Hill, but i don't want to be forced to experience the entire journey with another gamer on the screen. as i've said before, it'd be nice if they force both players to split up often in order to solve puzzles. or maybe something happens in the game which makes each player take a different path, yet they can still communicate via 2-way radios or something.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Silent Hill doesn't need co-op. It's single player mode is already one of the best co-op games out there. Gather your friends around and have them watch someone play, trust me, it's fun!
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

Skele wrote:yes, but you leave out the fact that Dead Space 3 has a single player mode as well. The co-op mode is just for gamers that wish to experience the game with someone else. it's not like RE5 for god sakes..
Thank you! I'm glad the folks at Dead Space went through the extra effort to keep a single player experienence even though co-op will likely create a lot of sales.

I feel like co-op could work in Silent Hill, but they would have to completely change the game. You would need to involve both players with puzzles, and there would have to be more or tougher enemies since there is now 2 people.
Nightmareish Waltzer
Just Passing Through

Post by Nightmareish Waltzer »

I'm all for co-op to be honest with you; I've never understood the argument that "co op in horror/survival equals = bah, its not scary anymore" (I think that just means the game was never "scary" to begin with and thus the "scare factor" was largely a construct of your own creation. That and I've yet to play a Silent Hill or RE game that genuinely scares me). Most games, depending on their impact or function, have little replayability for me unless I can share the experience with someone else within the game itself. Resident Evil 5 was decidedly less frustrating and more exciting an experience because there was a co-op feature. I probably would've enjoyed RE4 more if there was an option for someone to control Ashley, Ada or Luis (even for a brief amount of time) I'm looking forward to Dead Space 3's drop in/drop out co-op (I've been content with watching someone else play it, but now the added feature actually has me interesting in playing the game myself because I can enjoy it with someone game-time).

So, yeah, co-op in a console or portal Silent Hill is something I'd love have as a opinion.
There's a hole in the wall. Naturally, the smart and sane thing to do would be to stick your hand inside it or crawl through it.
Asphyxia606
Just Passing Through

Post by Asphyxia606 »

Deathmatch would be even better
Previous SHH Accounts - BlackFire, BlackFire2
Shadowgate
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadowgate »

You have to have a co op partner to play a game like SH. You need to have the same play styles. I would love Shill co op. I can't wait for dead space co op.
I put this in my sig since they buried my topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOryCXhu_Y
DrBjerkov
Just Passing Through

Post by DrBjerkov »

I would love a silent hill game with RPG traits, where you make your own character, and then give them a personallity, and depending on their backstory, the monsters are different and unique to that character. And give it an MP function, bingo. Silent Hill Online. Although anything over six players per campaign would be hard to do.
Let's blow some heads... off...
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

DrBjerkov wrote:I would love a silent hill game with RPG traits, where you make your own character, and then give them a personallity, and depending on their backstory, the monsters are different and unique to that character. And give it an MP function, bingo. Silent Hill Online. Although anything over six players per campaign would be hard to do.
Um. They already kind of made a game like that, or close enough.

It's called Book of Memories.
DrBjerkov
Just Passing Through

Post by DrBjerkov »

I meant custom, as in from the ground up.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Ah. Well, I guess something with multiple choice options to build a character (like Fallout) would be kinda cool.

Although I still don't know how an MP function would work in the Silent Hill universe, considering that most of the characters are just average joes.
DrBjerkov
Just Passing Through

Post by DrBjerkov »

Fallout!!! EXACTLY!!!
the konami code
Just Passing Through

Post by the konami code »

Well... I love co-op for some games, but I think the idea of the screen splitting every time someone walks off would destroy the immersive feel for me